Jordan Share wrote:
Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

Jordan Share <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Perhaps Unattended can wipe the partition table, at least if you tell
it to "Use Whole Disk" ?

It already does, or tries to. By default, our first partitioning command is "fdisk /clear 1" which translates into the Parted command "parted mklabel msdos".

Have you made any changes to Z:\dosbin\install.pl, Z:\site\config.pl,
or Z:\site\unattend.txt related to partitioning?

Unless the mklabel command also preserves some state, which I suppose
is possible.  Wow, that would be broken...

I *have* fiddled with the site\config.pl for partitioning, but I just double-checked what happens when you select "Whole Disk C", and it still does the $pre_cmds;$ret;$post_cmds. $pre_cmds is just 'fdisk /clear 1'.

I will double check whether manually invoking "parted mklabel msdos" after an FC2 install fixes the broken stuff.

Ok, here's the whole deal. Please let me know if you see any flaws in the methodology:

* Install FC2 to the point where it starts its partitioning (we kickstart).
* Reboot
* Attempt a standard "Whole Disk C:" install via unattended
* fails to boot after copying files

* Install FC2 to the point where it starts its partitioning (we kickstart).
* Reboot
* Attempt a standard "Whole Disk C:" install via unattended
* fails to boot after copying files
* Reboot
* Attempt a standard "Whole Disk C:" install via unattended
* fails to boot after copying files

* Install FC2 to the point where it starts its partitioning (we kickstart).
* Reboot
* Attempt a standard "Whole Disk C:" install via unattended
* fails to boot after copying files
* dd /dev/zero over the beginning of the drive
* Attempt a standard "Whole Disk C:" install via unattended
* succeeds

* Install FC2 to the point where it starts its partitioning (we kickstart).
* Reboot
* Run parted manually
* mklabel msdos
* (forget the exact commands, but make a 4 gig fat32 partition)
* set 1 boot on
* Continue install as normal
* fails to boot after copying files

* Install FC2 to the point where it starts its partitioning (we kickstart).
* Reboot
* Run parted manually
* mklabel msdos
* Reboot <-- *critical step*
* Attempt a standard "Whole Disk C:" install via unattended
* succeeds

So, something is broken if I don't reboot after doing the mklabel. I suppose it could be the BIOS, but I got this behaviour on 2 different motherboards: a SuperMicro P4SCE, and a Tyan Tomcat i7210 (S5112).

Since we typically multiboot 2 windows and 1 linux, with the linux installed last, I just use sfdisk to fix the partition table as part of the linux install. Still, it is vexing that a "Whole Disk C:" install doesn't "just work".

Jordan

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: InterSystems CACHE FREE OODBMS DOWNLOAD - A multidimensional database that combines robust object and relational technologies, making it a perfect match for Java, C++,COM, XML, ODBC and JDBC. www.intersystems.com/match8 _______________________________________________ unattended-info mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/unattended-info