On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 05:59:26PM +0200, Regis Gras enlightened us:
>     I had a lot of problems with the network driver for Dell OPtiplex 755
>
>     I compiled unettanded-4.8 on a FC4, a CentOS5 and a Debian
>     I compiled CVS on on a FC4, a CentOS5
>
> The network driver never works.
> Always the Dell freezes when trying access network. The messages are:
>
>  << ....................... MSI interrupt error: -1
> eth0: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO   >>
>
> As said Andres,
> I Ctrl+C and tried /etc/master manually and, then, all works.
>  That works for me too
>
> Juan Jose suggests:
>
> 1) wait for 2.6.25 kernel
> 2) Modify Makefile and use 2.6.25-rc8
> 3) Report your problem on kernel.org
> 4) use latest version of http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000
>

> I tried to use the e1000 driver in unattended-4.8.   Same problem.
> I tried to use linux-2.6.25-rc8, but it fails and complains:
> Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.25-rc8/modules.dep: No such file or dirctory
>
> I changed nothing in the Makefile, just download directly
> linux-2.6.25-rc8 on
> http://www.kernel.org.
>
> With make tftpboot, I accepted all the default options.
>     - Have I some thing to change in the Makefile ?
>     - Are there good options to choose ?

I usually modify the Makefile at the top to point to the correct version,
and then the second important step is to modify the misc/nail-floppy.txt
file so that your kernel modules are included on the boot media.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics