> Once you have ActiveState's Perl installed double-clicking on a .pl file
> will execute it.  I don't know if the scripts that ship with Unattended will
> function correctly that way or not, I've only ran them in a cygwin
> environment.  If we're talking about the prepare or update-script, they
> require wget, so make sure you have that as well, either add that to cygwin
> when installing or grab GNU Utils for Win32
> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

yes, running the perl scripts from within cygwin is the 'supported' (more or
less) way to do it. Install cygwin (www.cygwin.com) and select perl from the
package list. You can re-run setup.exe and add packages to cygwin at any
time, its a little odd to get used to, but works well. once you have cygwin
with perl installed you should be able to open a cygwin command prompt and
navigate over to the scripts and run 'em without issue. ex: cd
/cygdrive/c/data/unattended/install/tools (assuming unattended lives in
c:\data\unattended\). It has been awhile since Ive combed through the docs
but I thought this was covered somewhere. FYI: the perl script does not run
under win32 directly (without cygwin) because of some unix'isms in pathnames
and the use of wget in the path. Both of these issues could be fixed by
someone familiar with perl, unfortunately perl is not my strong suit.

> Any questions?  Just ask, I'll try to share what I've learned setting
> Unattended up in a Windows only environment.  So far the only trouble I've
> had is rebuilding the ISO in cygwin, I don't think it's possible.  I've
> searched the archives and pretty much found the same answer.  My next step
> for that is dual-booting Ubuntu.
>
> kevin

yeah, same. Ive setup unattended on dozens of win32 networks without issue
(and usually in roughly the time it takes to copy the 10-20 gig of data to
the server).

I havent had any luck re-building the unattended kernel/initrd from source,
BUT you can still customize the cd. Just use the kernel/initrd on a bootable
isolinux cd.  If you remaster the unattended linux iso (or use pxe network
booting) you can change the append line in the isolinux.cfg or
/pxelinux.cfg/default to include the servers ip address [ see:
http://osdir.com/ml/windows.unattended.general/2005-06/msg00130.html ]

Using the ip address vs the dns name of the unattended server assumes of
course that the unattended servers ip does not change (static) and that you
are unwilling or unable to fix dns to point to it reliably.

label unattended
         kernel bzImage
         append initrd=initrd.auto z_user=user_name z_pass=pass_word
z_path=//192.168.0.10/install

All my servers are static IPs, I tend to prefer to use the ip address, less
ambiguity that way.