I have been watching the discussion and have to join in.  I do a combination of
things because we are Reading First.  We can't do writer's workshop or spelling
during reading time.  I do teach strategies with the core and with read alouds.
 I also use The Daily 5 to help with independent reading habits.  It is awesome
and powerful.  Students do become independent.  I have flexible groups and use
workstations.  I think when I used to use centers, it was busy work
(worksheets).  Now I use Debbie Diller's workstations and make sure it is
purposeful.  Kids do like to be up and about. I have 8 different stations each
week and it really works - kids are engaged and a lot of reading does go on.
My independent reading time is separate from the 90 minute block.  Writing is
also separate.  I do think stations work in my third grade class.  There can be
a lot of reading done on the computer(they can choose to read articles, or
practice fluency) or at the poetry station. Even reader's theater is fun for
them - as the year goes on, they will get more choice in activities.

Linda

Jennifer wrote:
There is nothing wrong with centers if they are done correctly, in my
opinion. Kids sometimes need the movement and hands on kinds of activities.
They
just should not take the place of reading. They belong in another time of  the
day.