I wanted to respond to Jennifer's plea below.  I have seen the same thing
and have noticed that they are far more likely to tune in when a peer is
thinking aloud.  I wonder what would happen if you asked kids to do some
thinking aloud every once in a while.  I know that you can undoubtedly
provide a higher level think aloud - which is very important - but I also
know how kids respond to other kids.  Your sense about what needs to be done
in what order is, I'm sure, better than I can grasp from just reading the
posts, but I would also consider "co-modeling" with another teacher, if you
can swing it so that one of your great colleagues comes into your room.
Kids find it fascinating to listen to adults think aloud and share their
thinking about books.  Just a couple ideas to add to your already rich
repertoire!!

best,

ellin

Thanks, Rhonda. I know they need modeling, but they tune out when I model. I
feel like the adults in the Peanuts cartoons... you know "waaah waah waaah
waah!" :-) That is why I feel like I have to build that sense of urgency
first. I am just one more stimulus in their overstimulated little lives! :-O