I have been pondering the selections below about classroom environment and
rigor--and, surprise, I have quite a bit to say!

I am thrilled to read Ellin's focus on respect and interactions as the
foundation of classroom environment. I concur that community is developed not
by how the room LOOKS, but by how it FEELS--at least I hope that is what she's
saying. When MOT, that brilliant book which changed my life and my teaching
forever, was published, so many of us were unsure where to start and many dove
into remodeling the appearance of their classrooms; curtains, lamps, and
lowered tables bloomed everywhere. But, IMHO, it's not about appearance, it's
about the day-to-day interaction in the classroom. I am not a curtains and
lowered lights kind of person; I like bright and colorful and I never changed
my "decor." Now, with the publication of TU, I feel vindicated.

For me, the key words are "authentic interactions." I want my classroom to be a
place where a child is free to think anything knowing that thought will be
considered graciously by her peers and her teacher. I want my classroom to be a
place where, as Britton said so many years ago, we are "floating on a sea of
talk." I focus heavily on talk. I believe talk leads to deeper thinking and
true learning--the kind of learning that includes changing one's mind based on
the thoughts of others. Room 12 MUST be a place where thought and learning are
treated with the greatest respect.

And about rigor...YES! I am in the midst of parent conferences right now and I
am amazed by the number of parents who have said that I scared them at Back to
School Night and that they were certain their children would never be able to
"keep up." They tell me this as they thank me for helping their kids become
thinkers, for making their kids excited about coming to school daily, for
sending kids home who are eager to discuss their day. Their kids are becoming
joyful learners. I owe it all to Ellin Keene.

I was evaluated by my wise principal last year. She wrote (something like),
'most teachers base their classroom management on procedures; Judy's class is a
kind and cooperative place because of their daily experiences with LITERACY.'

I try to "provoke intellectual development" every minute of every day.

Thank you, Ellin Keene.

Judy

P.S. I'm really going to have to buy a 2nd copy of TU; if I want it at home,
it's at school--and vice versa.