Jan
I don't teach middle school, but I am wondering about the role of  teacher
language in a child's tendency to backslide in the way you  describe.
I just read Debbie Miller's Teaching with Intention, including the
commentary by Peter Johnston. So much of a child's motivation, at least
initially, I
think comes from having someone believe in him. The language  we use in our
classroom conveys that we see him (or her) as scholars, as  capable, as
partners
in learning. When a child is back in an environment where  all knowledge
resides in the teacher...I could see how it would be easy to  backslide. BUT...
am thinking that those children will remember...and some of  them, someday,
will find their way back into the fold.
Jennifer
In a message dated 12/28/2008 12:37:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,