Hi Jennifer,
I've been thinking about the idea below a lot lately.

pg. 172 " I wonder---are we explicit with children about how the books we
read change us,causing us to act, to read more, to write, to change our
previously held beliefs? Do we ask--"What happened at the end of chapter five
or
questions like these: "In what ways were you changed by this book? How will you

approach people differently because you read this book? ....How have you
revised  what you thought you believed or understood?"

I know that I don't talk enough about how my reading has changed me.  I also
know that I get resentment from some very vocal students about this.  They say,
"I don't want a book to change me; I want a book just to be a story."  I'd like
to hear some ideas about why that is.  It seems the students want no more than
entertainment.  Is that a correct interpretation about their feelings?  Why are
they so adamant about not wanting to change?
Jan

  -------------- Original message from cnjpal...@aol.com: --------------

> Let me see if I can revive the talk a little...
>
> Pick one of these quotes from chapter seven and react to it. Tell the list
> what you are thinking about...what you have seen with your students or in
> your
> own experiences that would support or contradict Ellin's  statements.
>
> pg. 168 " I wish I'd recorded the number of times a child arrived at an
> insight or observation that represented a more far-reaching level of
comprehension than I had imagined possible. This happened so many times I
> finally
realized it wasn't solely the use of comprehension strategies that  elevated