On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

> I would openly encourage you to help "perpetuate the evidence" so that this
> change can be evaluated and the right thing can be done in MS products
> (which as I said currently have the slash as a currency sign). Cites and
> sources for the investigation, etc. would be very important here.

I think can put the text for ISIRI 3342 and the related parts of the Iran
University Press Style Guide online; getting their permission will be
easy.

> I do not think there is a localized Farsi version of any 32-bit version of
> Windows (well, at least not a legal one!) and AFAIK you cannot even export
> software currently.

There is no legal Farsi 32-bit version of Windows available in Iran, but
there was once a 16-bit one available. BTW, it depends on how do you
interpret legal. Iran is not in the international copyright agreement, so
doing a localized Windows is considered legal here. There are more
localized versions of Windows than countable. I think a normal user can
name at least five outstanding (!) ones.

Also, exporting software from Iran is legal. You only need a permission
from the Ministry of Guidance and Islamic Culture that's not hard to
obtain. Is this against any international agreement?

> But Farsi support is present and one can only assume that one day export
> will be legal.... better to make sure things are right now instead of
> later. :-)

I don't get your point. How are localized versions of Windows in
Iran related to "prepetuating the evidence"? Perhaps I'm missing something
important...

--roozbeh