Mike> Since when has overquoting been a problem on this list?

You haven't been on the list long enough.  There have been repeated cases of
quoting all prior messages in a thread to provide, one can only assume,
concise context for a single-sentence reply.

    Mike> Does this mean that concise replies to involved discussions need
    Mike> either snip out the discussion (also known as the context) or cease
    Mike> to be concise?  Doesn't seem like we'll be getting any benefit out
    Mike> of it.  I hope that this is just a preconfigured setting that will
    Mike> be fixed.

As good English teachers are wont to say, "Your paper should say what it needs
to say -- no less, no more."  Few voluminous posts on this list are concise in
their entirety.  Reply with the relevant points plus context and throw out the
rest.  Your response will always fit under the overquoting limit.
Mark Leisher                      Times are bad.  Children no longer obey
Computing Research Lab            their parents, and everyone is writing
New Mexico State University       a book.
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL                -- Marcus Tullius Cicero
Las Cruces, NM  88003