Dan> How can you be so sure that "Most Japanese disagree"?  Have you
    Dan> actually taken a poll?  I happen to be a Japanese and even I am not
    Dan> sure how much beloved or hated Unicode is here.  Isn't this kind of
    Dan> attitude that makes people like Ohta-san angry?

Having unsuccessfuly attempted rational explanation many, many times over the
years with Ohta-san and others like him, I can say with some authority that
they are primarily responsible for "this attitude."

When you have attempted to point out incomplete or just plain incorrect
reasoning in their arguments for the 1000th time, patience runs very thin.

A raised eyebrow at questionable implementations and policies is a good thing
and should be expected.  Constantly spreading misinformation due to deliberate
misunderstanding is a waste of everyone's time and energy.
Mark Leisher                        Orthodoxy, of whatever color, seems to
Computing Research Lab              demand a lifeless, imitative style.
New Mexico State University
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL                  -- Politics and the English Language,
Las Cruces, NM  88003                     George Orwell