At 14:30 -0800 2002-10-28, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
 > >Hm, what if I want to make, say, snow capped Devanagari glyphs for my
 >hiking company in Nepal? Shouldn't I assign them to Unicode code points?

 That's what Private Use code positions are for.
Um, Michael, I think Anto'nio was talking about glyphs in a
decorative font, which should -- clearly -- just be mapped to
ordinary Unicode characters, via an ordinary Unicode cmap.
If they correspond to Unicode characters, yes, certainly.

Or do you think that the yellow, cursive, shadow-dropped, 3-D
letters "Getaway!" at:

http://www.trekking-in-nepal.com/

should also be represented by Private Use code positions? ;-)
Not at all. Fonts with images of igloos and yurts would use it, though, I would think.
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com