At 02:45 PM 6/26/2003, Mark Davis wrote:

Another consequence is that it separates the sequence into two
combining sequences, not one. Don't know if this is a serious problem,
especially since we are concerned with a limited domain with
non-modern usage, but I wanted to mention it.

It is a serious problem if separate combining sequences means, as it seems to in all the current apps I have tested, that marks separated by one of these control characters cannot be correctly positioned relative to a preceding consonant. Insertion of any zero-width control character between two marks applied to the same Hebrew consonant results in a loss of interraction between the marks (i.e. the first mark is not repositioned to accomodate the second) and the second mark loses all positioning intelligence and falls between the consonant and the next one. My guess is that the layout engine (Uniscribe in this case) makes the reasonable assumption that the two combining sequences do not interract.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com Vancouver, BC [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                            - Umberto Eco