At 15:47 -0700 2003-07-28, Peter Kirk wrote:

Well, except two countries, or more than two if you have been following the "damn'd fools" thread. We British resisted Napoleon and we continue to resist his innovations like the metric system, though we are being forced to make a gradual change.

Thank heavens. :-) Unless you miss non-decimal currency.

There are still many things which Napoleon managed to impose and are still uniform all the way from Calais to Vladivostok (because even the Russians accepted his system for a while), even traffic rules (drive on the right, give way to the right), but are different in the UK.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea that these things aren't standardized.

Though I like the fused UK and Irish electric socket plugs, which are extremely safe....
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com