At 15:41 -0500 2003-07-29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Jony Rosenne wrote on 07/29/2003 03:21:08 PM:

 The only thing established is that this artifact has been used in
 several manuscripts, one of many similar artifacts, to aid the
 understanding of the text. And the correct vehicle to convey such
 artifacts is markup.

You say this as if it's objective truth. Now, if I see Latin-script text with a diacritic comma above in some places but also a comma above and a little to the right, the correct vehicle to convey these "artifacts" is the pair of distinct characters, U+0313 COMBINING COMMA ABOVE and U+0315 COMBINING COMMA ABOVE RIGHT. Apparently, in the case of Latin, it was not considered an objective truth that the correct vehicle is markup.

If it comes to having an above-Hebrew-thingy and a next-to-Hebrew-thingy or having it be done by markup, I certainly would prefer the character-based solution.
--
Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com