Mark

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 05:57, Philippe Verdy <verd...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> "Martin J. Dürst" <due...@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

> > No. Sequences of numeric Kanji are also used in names and word-plays,
> > and as sequences of individual small numbers.
>
>  (1) Existing exception :
>
> There's one example of a digit which has a numeric type = decimal, AND
> is encoded in a "scattered" way:
>
> 19DA;6618;᧚;New Tai Lue Tham Digit One;Nd;0;L;...;1;1;1;N
>
> The other decimal nine digits for the Tham variant of the New Tai Lue
> digits are borrowed from another sequence of decimal digits, starting
> at U+19D0 (for digit zero) with the exception of U+19D1 which is
> replaced (for digit one). Both sets are assigned in the same
> "New_Tai_Lue" script property value.
>
> So the additional stability proposal will not be enforceable.

On the contrary. Were we do want such a policy, the implication would be
either to:
(a) change the type of 19DA from Nd to No (what I think would be the right
thing to do)
(b) grandfather in the character.

>  (2) Arabic digits :
>
> Such case was avoided for the Eastern/Extended variant of Arabo-Indic
> digits in U+06F0..U+06F9, without borrowing the common forms for the
> Standard variant in U+0660.U+0669: they were reencoded separately to
> create a complete sequence of 10 digits, even if most of them (all
> except 4 to 6) are exactly similar and belong to the same unified
> "script".
>
> But what is even more "strange" is that the Standard Arabic digits are
> assigned to the "Common" script, when the Eastern/Extended variant is
> assigned to the "Arabic" script (look at the Unicode script property
> value, from the file "Scripts-5.2.0.txt" in the UCD).
>
> If you just look at this property, you may think that the
> Extended/Eastern digits are the standard ones for the Arabic script:
> this is a side-effect of unification of Western and Eastern variants
> of the Arabic script.

It is not so strange. Read
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr24/proposed.html#Multiple_Script_Values,
and other parts of #24 describing Common.

>  (3) Unification of the Arabic script:
>
> Ideally, there should be two additional separate ISO 15924 script
> codes for the Western and Eastern variants the Arabic script (possibly
> [Arbs] for Standard/Western, and [Arbx] for Extended/Eastern), and the
> Unicode "script" property value alias for the Western and Eastern
> digits or letters should be segregated, using a separate Script
> property value (splitting the Arabic script, where it is significant,
> just like it occured for Georgian and Greek/Coptic alphabets).

There is no likelihood of that happening, simply for the sake of these
digits.

The original characters were just font variants; they were really split to a
large extend because of the UBA (which I think in retrospect was a mistake,
but c'est la vie, n'est pas?).