On 2011/10/11 13:07, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:53:39 +0900
From: "Martin J. Dürst"<due...@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
CC: li bo<libo....@gmail.com>, unicode@unicode.org

This is different from what you did in Emacs, which I'd call
line-folding, i.e. cut the line after a paragraph is laid out and
reordered completely as a single (potentially very long) line. This
makes some sense in Emacs, where the basic assumption is that lines
should fit into the width of the view.

Sorry, I don't follow you.  There's no such "line-folding" in the
Emacs implementation of the UBA.  A line that doesn't fit the window
width is reordered as a whole.  Conceptually, reordering is done
before breaking a long line into continuation lines.

This is exactly what I meant. In Emacs, reordering is done before breaking a long line into smaller segments to fit into the width of the display window. I called this "line-folding", you call it continuation lines.

But in the bidi algorithm itself, line breaking (be it automatic due to a layout algorithm or explicit due to LS or something similar) is applied *before* reordering. This is very important, because otherwise, content that is logically earlier may appear on later lines, which would be very confusing for readers.

Regards,   Martin.