On 2012/07/18 16:35, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
"Martin J. Dürst", Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:00:42 +0900:

The best reason is simply that nobody should be using
crutches as long as they can walk with their own legs.

Crutches, in that sense, is only about authoring convenience. And, of
course, it is a difference between using named and numeric character
references for a single non-ASCII letter as opposed to using it for all
of them. Nevertheless: I, as Web author, would perhaps skip that
convenience if I knew that doing so could improve e.g. HTML5 browser's
ability to sniff the encoding correctly when all other encoding info is
lost. If such sniffing can be an alternative to the BOM, and the BOM is
questionable, then why not mention it as a reason to avoid the crutches?

I'm not sure there are many people for whom using named character entities or numeric character references is a convenience. But for those for whom it is a convenience, let them use it.

Regards,   Martin.