Stephan Stiller wrote:

In your experience, what are the best (plaintext) texteditors or word processors for Linux / Mac OS X / Windows that have the ability to save in many different encodings?

This is for Windows:

After many years of frustrated searching and switching, I've settled on Andrew West's BabelPad as the best editor that is an expert on all things Unicode, and Notepad++ as the otherwise-best editor (at least for the price :).

Both load files in a variety of encodings. NPP will save in any of them, while BP saves to Unicode encodings only. Both are very aware of BOMs. NPP allows you to convert line-ending style at any time; BP allows this at save time. I don't know how well either one handles a file with a mixture of LF and CRLF.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­