I actually did quote that, to no avail.

This seems to be the missing information though (from the wikipedia
iso-8859-1 article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1):

> In 1992, the
> IANA<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Assigned_Numbers_Authority>
> registered
the character map *ISO_8859-1:1987*, more commonly known by its preferred
MIME <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME> name of *ISO-8859-1* (note the
extra hyphen over ISO 8859-1), a superset of ISO 8859-1, for use on the
Internet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet>. This map assigns the C0
and C1 control
characters<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C0_and_C1_control_character>
the unassigned code values thus provides for 256 characters via every
possible 8-bit value.

To me this means that the blanks in the "codepage layout" diagram are quite
misleading and should be filled in.