>  The status of these 5 characters is already in the best fit mappings
document pointed to by the IANA registry entry for windows-1252, which is
strong as I’m willing to go for them.

I don't understand the relation between bestfit1252 and cp1252. Could you
clarify it for me?
If I read the mapping file right, bestfit1252 declares a definition of
cp1252, so it would make sense (to me) if the corresponding parts of the
two files matched.
As far as I can see, the w3c-cp1252 corresponds to bestfit1252.