Le 13/01/2016 22:39, Garth Wallace a écrit :
The rationale for U+1B001, AIUI, was that it was used in some modern
scholarly works about the history of the Japanese language to
distinguish between/e/  and/je/  before they merged in the modern
language. I don't know if historically that distinction existed in
writing.

The character name is normative. But the pronunciation is not, and I
don't think the Unicode name should be taken to mean that it can only
be used when a particular pronunciation is intended. Spelling and
pronunciation are outside of Unicode's scope.

Let us suppose *HENTAIGANA LETTER E-1 is to be unified with 𛀁 U+1B001 HIRAGANA LETTER ARCHAIC YE. An annotation can be added to U+1B001 description to confirm this usage. If it is not enough, and an official HENTAIGANA name is desired for consistency, I think it is conceivable to add the following line in http://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/NameAliases.txt

   1B001;HENTAIGANA LETTER E-1;alternate

Frédéric