Hello Michael, others,

On 2017/03/23 09:03, Michael Everson wrote:
Its the same diphthong (a sound) written with different
letters.

Am 23.03.2017 um 06:54 schrieb Martin J. Dürst:
I think this may well be the *historically* correct analysis. And that
may have some influence on how to encode this, but it shouldn't be
dominant.

What's most important is (past and) *current use*.

Same issue as with German sharp S: The blackletter »ß« derives from an
ſ-z ligature (thence its German name »Eszet«), whilst the Roman type
»ß« derives from an ſ-s ligature. Still, we encode both variants as
identical letters. I’ve got a print from 1739 with legends in both
German (blackletter) and French (Roman italics), comprising both types
of ligatures in one single document.

Best wishes,
  Otto