On 2017/03/26 11:24, Philippe Verdy wrote:

Thats a good point: any disunification requires showing examples of
contrasting uses.

Fully agreed. We haven't yet heard of any contrasting uses for the letter shapes we are discussing.

Now depending on individual publications, authors would
use one character or the other according to their choice, and the encoding
will respect it. If we need further unification for matching texts in the
samer language across periods of time or authors, collation (UCA) can
provide help: this is already what it does in modern German with the digram
"ae" and the letter "ä" which are orthographic variants not distinguished
by the language but by authors' preference.

Well, in most cases, but not e.g. for names. Goethe is not spelled Göthe.

Regards,   Martin.