On 05/24/2017 12:46 AM, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
On 2017/05/24 05:57, Karl Williamson via Unicode wrote:
On 05/23/2017 12:20 PM, Asmus Freytag (c) via Unicode wrote:

Adding a "recommendation" this late in the game is just bad standards
policy.

Unless I misunderstand, you are missing the point.  There is already a
recommendation listed in TUS,

That's indeed correct.

and that recommendation appears to have
been added without much thought.

That's wrong. There was a public review issue with various options and with feedback, and the recommendation has been implemented and in use widely (among else, in major programming language and browsers) without problems for quite some time.

Could you supply a reference to the PRI and its feedback?

The recommendation in TUS 5.2 is "Replace each maximal subpart of an ill-formed subsequence by a single U+FFFD."

And I agree with that. And I view an overlong sequence as a maximal ill-formed subsequence that should be replaced by a single FFFD. There's nothing in the text of 5.2 that immediately follows that recommendation that indicates to me that my view is incorrect.

Perhaps my view is colored by the fact that I now maintain code that was written to parse UTF-8 back when overlongs were still considered legal input. An overlong was a single unit. When they became illegal, the code still considered them a single unit.

I can understand how someone who comes along later could say C0 can't be followed by any continuation character that doesn't yield an overlong, therefore C0 is a maximal subsequence.

But I assert that my interpretation is just as valid as that one. And perhaps more so, because of historical precedent.

It appears to me that little thought was given to the fact that these changes would cause overlongs to now be at least two units instead of one, making long existing code no longer be best practice. You are effectively saying I'm wrong about this. I thought I had been paying attention to PRI's since the 5.x series, and I don't remember anything about this. If you have evidence to the contrary, please give it. However, I would have thought Markus would have dug any up and given it in his proposal.

There is no proposal to add a
recommendation "this late in the game".

True. The proposal isn't for an addition, it's for a change. The "late in the game" however, still applies.

Regards,   Martin.