> From: Egmont Koblinger <egm...@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 14:57:56 +0100
> Cc: Richard Wordingham <richard.wording...@ntlworld.com>,
>       unicode Unicode Discussion <unicode@unicode.org>
>
> According to the description you give, Emacs's terminal always applies
> the BiDi algorithm, therefore by its design only implements what I
> call "implicit mode", and not the "explicit mode".

You can have what you call the "explicit mode" if you set the variable
bidi-display-reordering to nil.  This only supports the LTR explicit
mode, though.  Personally, I don't see when would the RTL explicit
mode be useful: there's no RTL-only text in real life, so some
reordering is always required.  But maybe I'm missing something.

> I'm making the strong claim that by running the UBA a terminal
> emulator doesn't become BiDi aware, there's much more it needs to do.

Like I said, you are welcome to test the rest of your requirements and
ask questions if you think something is not supported or isn't working
as expected.