On 8 Jan 2014 at 14:31, Steve Wampler wrote:

> I'm looking for a simple way to generate beeps of varying
> duration (and preferably with varying pitch) from Unicon.
> Anyone know of a way?
>
> Thanks!
> Steve
> --
> Steve Wampler -- swamp...@noao.edu
> The gods that smiled on your birth are now laughing out loud.

Sorry, I thought there was a way. but I don't know one.

Dear Steve,

I thought there was a way. but I don't know one.

Bill Mitchell's notes & the unicon book failed to suggest anything
helpful with regard to beeps or sound, so I used grep for "sound",
"pitch" and "beep" on the (old) sources I have.

I conclude you can try writing a Control+G to the screen. You might
get one pitch of beep. Or you can call on your OS to make sounds for
you.

Here are the files which contain one or more of "sound", "pitch",
"beep".
# Comments are either my understanding of the code or from the file.

...\Iconsrc\ipl\procs\vrml2lib.icn
   pitch,
#       Subject:  Procedures to support construction of VRML 2.0 files
---------
...\Iconsrc\ipl\progs\midisig.icn
   event["e"] := "pitch wheel change"
#       Subject:  Program to show signature of a MIDI file
---------
...\Iconsrc\ipl\progs\ttt.icn
    writes(at(5,23),beep(),"Invalid Input! Choose 1-9.")
    writes(at(5,23),beep(),"Value out of range! Choose 1-9.")
    writes(at(5,23),beep(),"That position is already taken! Try
again.")
procedure beep()
# this sends "\7" to an ansii terminal to get a beep
---------
...\Iconsrc\uni\lib\gui.icn
                     # Discard the event and beep in the window.
# I don't see how a beep is sounded or what data goes where.
---------
...\Iconsrc\src\h\sys.h
   #ifdef NAS
      #include  <audio/audiolib.h>
      #include  <audio/soundlib.h>
   #endif
---------
...\Iconsrc\src\runtime\rlocal.r
        "podulesave",   "pointer",      "print",        "qsound",
        "smerge",       "snew",         "sound",        "speaker",
# these are possible OS (specific?) commands that get tested
---------
...\Iconsrc\src\runtime\rmac.ri
#passthru #include <sound.h>
# * File: rmac.ri - Mac system-specific graphics interface code.
+++++++++++++++
...\Iconsrc\src\runtime\rxrsc.ri
 *      StopFlow - stops playing a sound file specified by AuDev->FlowID
 *      the function that plays the sound file in either Asynchronous
 *      the sound file and when it is completed, the process resumes.
fprintf(stderr, "in playsound, AuDev->Server %x\n", AuDev->Server);
fflush(stderr);
fprintf(stderr, "playsound fails\n"); fflush(stderr);
fprintf(stderr, "playsound succeeds\n"); fflush(stderr);

#  * File: rxrsc.ri - X Window specific resource
allocation/deallocation

---------
...\Iconsrc\ipl\gprogs\sensdemo.icn
#     The largs square sounds a bell if Return is pressed while it
   sensor(win, '\r', ding, &null, m+65, m, 150, 150)    # \r in box
sounds bell
#       Subject:  Program to demonstrate sensor routines
# probably this is the relevant stuff about a sound
procedure ding(win, a, x, y, k)         # ring the bell
   writes("\^g")
   flush(&output)
   return
end
# I.e. Control+G written to "screen" is expecting to sound a beep
---------

Jay Hammond

homem...@talktalk.net