From: btif...@vivaldi.net <btif...@vivaldi.net>
Sent: Friday, December 9, 2016 6:41:44 PM
To: Bruce & Breeanna Rennie
Cc: Unicon group
Subject: Re: [Unicon-group] The vagaries of creating a new copy of the Unicon
Book from TeX sources.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 08:50 AM, Bruce & Breeanna Rennie <bren...@dcsi.net.au>
wrote:
Good evening/morning to all,

For those who may be attempting to create a new pdf from the Unicon TeX
sources, I have the following story.

If, like me, you are running on a Centos 6 system, the make file
provided will probably fail (if you are using tex-live as supplied).
There are missing macros which do not seem to be available in the distro
version of tex-live.

For building the UP docs and other Sphinx TeX output related materials, I
usually install texlive-full, it's a few gigabytes of install, and most
components sit idle, never used, but it saves on thinking through the thousands
of sub packages.  After that, things all come together, dependencies met.  On
this Xubuntu 16.04 box, and the Fedora 24 system, the makefile for ub.pdf just
works.  Can't say which package(s) from the complete Tex suite make it work,
but it does.

I suggest to those who experience this that you download the tex-live
2016 DVD iso and do a clean install using that. I did have problems
trying to do a net install of tex-live 2016 (failed 1/2 way through with
a hard non-resumable error). Do your install of the new tex-live and
after completing any path changes required, log-out, log-in and run make
and you will have the new version.

To the Authors, looks good with the changes that I have seen so far.
Thank you for your efforts in this work.

Agree.  Kudos deserved.

Cheers,
Brian

regards