Google hasn't been particularly helpful in my search for information about unionfs. I have read unionfs-odf.txt and usage.txt (thx Erez) and browsed this archive, and have even managed a simple mount via unionfs, but I can't figure out if I can use Unionfs to solve my problem.

I'm working a computer with a computer with very restricted disk space. It has several USB ports through which I could mount a drive. This solves the limited disk problem, but doesn't help increase the disk capacity of /bin and /lib (and similar directories).

Is it possible using unionfs to mount an directory from one of these external sources such that it forms a union with /bin that is transparent to the user? I would like to do similar with /lib

A program on /media/external_dirve/bin would appear to be in /bin and if it needs any additional libraries, the ones stored on media/external_drive/lib would appear in /lib