Begin forwarded message:

From: Stephen Fisher <safis...@sas.upenn.edu>
Date: December 10, 2011 10:30:14 PM EST
To: "Univ. City Neighbors" <u...@ucneighbors.org>
Subject: [UCNeighbors] I was mugged tonight...

First off, I'm fine.

I was walking home around 6:30pm and about 1/2 a block from my house when 2 guys (black males probably in their 30's, wearing dark clothing, who had been waiting at the 46th / Chester trolley stop) ran up to me and mugged me. I noticed them at the trolley stop and didn't think much of them as I don't typically expect to be wary of someone waiting for the trolley. I got punched in the face multiple times and it seems my years of tai chi may have paid off. I must have flowed with the punches as it didn't hurt and I don't appear to be injured (only a small bit of bruising). They got my wallet, my phone, and my mostly empty backpack.

I screamed repeatedly that I was being mugged but sadly no one heard me.

We were able to track my iPhone to 53rd Street in SW Philly and the police caught a guy who I'm pretty sure was one of the muggers. He didn't have my stuff but he did have a gun, so for now he's getting locked up for the gun. Someone turned my iPhone off shortly after the police started hanging out on that block. So I'm going to wait a day or two before I disable my phone, to see if it gets turned back on and can be further located by the police. Once I wipe the phone and transfer my number, I will no longer be able to track the phone.

Some things I learned tonight...
1. The 18th Police District is pretty tech savvy and apparently they catch a lot of muggers from phone tracking. 2. If you are being mugged and have the presence of mind, then look at the mugger's shoes. Apparently they often change their clothing but rarely change their shoes.

Be safe,
Stephen