http://ucreview.com/community-response-to-apple-storage-make-over-lofts-and-mixuse-building-p3218-1.htm

There is going to be another community meeting on this project at Arnett
A.M.E. Church, 815 S 53rd St. next Wednesday,February 15th at 7 p.m.

>From the article:
"Highlights of the community’s concerns- voiced both at both the January
25th meeting as well as through a survey-- run the gamut from taxes to
affordability to employment. The surrounding community is not only
concerned with the fact that the apartment building could raise property
taxes for surrounding homeowners—many of whom live on fixed incomes—but
also because Iron Stone Management will receive a ten year tax abatement if
the building’s constructed. According to Kelly, many of the surrounding
neighbors have wondered why new homeowners-- either those who build or
purchase a home—cannot receive similar tax abatements. Many residents also
wonder if the developer plans to offer any affordable or Section 8
apartments.

And when it came to concerns over employment, many neighbors were concerned
about whether or not the developers would offer local or out of town jobs
for the building’s construction. In addition, many questioned whether or
not changing the building’s use from industrial to residential was the best
idea when it came to job creation. More jobs might be made available if the
building maintained its original industrial use through another type of
development, Kelly added."
>From my attendance at the previous CPN community meeting:
1) Your property taxes might go up if you also own a giant building in the
area. Property taxes are based on valuations of like-buildings. Giant
former warehouse does not impact nearby single family home.
2) How is the city's tax-abatement program the developer's fault?
3) These are market rate apartments. The project is privately financed and
therefore is not required to offer below market rate housing.
4) The developer has already stated publicly they wish to hire local
contractors and local employees.
5) The warehouse has been vacant for several years without an industrial
company seeking it out. This objection also ignores the financial impact
having several hundred new residents in the area would have on local
businesses.

Amara