Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply.

I had issues deploying after compiling from source, however my problem was
related to either DB or tomcat version. I was able to fix the problem by
running MySQL 5.0.77 and tomcat 6.0.26.

Chris if you have any additional information about portal development in
Eclipse including checking source from SVN and patch updates, it would be
great.  I am also interested in developing locally then syncing customizations
to production including DB records, best practices...etc

Regards,
Tamer