Passing along an email I saw related to spring framework upgrades in
uPortal/portlets to make sure we spread the information far and wide and
get any feedback accordingly ...

https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/wiki/Migrating-from-earlier-versions-of-the-spring-framework

Still working through stuff, but one thing that might help (from the
above link):
*
*

    *Enforced minimum dependency versions
    *As of Spring Framework 4.1, several optional dependencies are
    required to be within the supported range: in particular, /*EhCache
    2.5+, Quartz 2.1.4+, Jackson 2.1+, and ROME 1.5*+/ (see below for
    details about 4.x dependency declarations in the Spring Framework
    4.0 section). Older versions have still been tolerated in the Spring
    Framework 4.0.x line for a smoother upgrade path; *as of 4.1, the
    intended minimum versions are being enforced. /Most importantly,
    don't use Quartz 1.8.x anymore; upgrade to Quartz 2.1.4+ instead!
    /*Note that as of Spring Framework 4.1.4, Apache HttpComponents
    HttpClient needs to be 4.3+ across the framework. The previous
    partial tolerance of old HttpClient versions had to be dropped in
    order to fix several configuration issues when running against 4.3+.

I'm also seeing a need to update Hibernate (I'm trying 3.6.10.Final).
That may also require adding/updating a bunch of other dependencies as
well (Javassist, slf4j, etc).

James Wennmacher - Unicon
480.558.2420

--