FYI this is exactly what I've done locally, I called mine manchetser-ear. It contains the same sub modules as yours!

I also use this project to store my quickstart_entities / manchester_entities.

... Once I've filtered my overlayed portlets and uPortal I either
1) don't want to leave then lying around in the .m2 directory
or
2) I do want them laying around in .m2 to save re-filtering next time when all I've done is update a single portlet version. In this case I need to ensure that artifacts filters for UAT do not accidentally get included in a bundle filtered for PROD.

... I'm not sure whether skip-deploy, skip-install on each portlet would break the overlay system?

... ultimately I want to move away from filtering completely and use paths to external properties files so I can truly have 1 build for all environments.

-- Anthony.