On Sep 12, 2006, at 3:40 PM, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:

>> I'm working on a simple panel applet that would provide functionality
>> similar to Mac's menu bar.  Adding the applet would cause most
>> menu bars
>> to automagically disappear from their respective windows and migrate
>> into the applet's area.  Removing the applet would restore
>> menubars to
>> their parent windows.

A few issues:

Keeping the menu current with the app that currently has input focus
will be critical--any lag in menu bar switch and update will be
nearly insurmountable as a usability problem

You'll need to provide a way for the user to ascertain from the
menubar what app has input focus.

I find that occasionally (and heretically) the menu bar at the top of
the screen is not what I want. If I have multiple apps open on my
multiple-monitor desktop, I may have to move the pointer a great
distance to get to the menu bar. As monitors grow, there is a
tradeoff between having the menu bar always in the same place and
impossible to overshoot versus close at hand in the current window.

J. English
Some Big Computer Compay