Scott Rossi wrote:

If I script this:

put "A" into theArray[1]
put "B" into theArray[2]
put "C" into theArray[3]

And then script this:

delete variable theArray[2]

I essentially get an array with entries that look like this:

How can I collapse (?) the array after deleting element 2 so that the array
only has two elements remaining?

The delete is fine; the problem is in the display of the results.

If you use:

  put theArray[1] &"*"&theArray[2] &"*"& theArray[3]

...you'll get the empty entry for theArray[2]. The variable theArray still exists, but there's nothing in that slot.

Building the output from the keys of the array will get what you want:

  put the keys of theArray into tKeys
  sort lines of tKeys -- if the order is important
  repeat for each line tKey in tKeys
     put "*"& theArray[tKey] after tResult
  end repeat
  put tResult