Scott, that certainly tallies with my experience of the "with messages" form - it's the tight polling loops that seem to be greedy.

best,

Mark

On 9 Jun 2009, at 21:53, Scott Rossi wrote:

Recently, Mark Smith wrote:

Yes, I think you have to be careful with mouse stuff:

on mouseDown
    repeat
       if the mouse is up then exit repeat
       put the mouseloc
    end repeat
end mouseDown

In my experience, the processor load is relative to the frequency of Rev's messages. Messages sent with a frequency of once a second or longer do not
appear to significantly impact the processor.  As message frequency
increases to intervals less than one second, processor load begins to
increase significantly.

One interesting exception is "wait... with messages". This can effectively act as an ultra fast loop or repeat but does not appear to impact processor
load (at least not according to OS X's Activity Monitor).

on mouseUp
   wait until mouseH() > 200 with messages
   put "done"
end mouseUp