Dom, I use these two functions in my library to deal with utf8:

function utf8decode pString
  return unidecode(uniencode(pString,"UTF8"))
end utf8decode

function utf8encode pString
  return unidecode(uniencode(pString),"UTF8")
end utf8encode

They will convert to and from whatever you're local charset is.

Best,

Mark Smith