On 26 Jun 2009, at 23:07, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Ditto what the others have said about the progress bar. Those updates prompt so many layers of OS rendering code that they take quite a toll. I went to a mod solution with one of my projects and it gave me an order of magnitude speed boost.

But I have a question about the algorithm's logic: if c is initialized to 0 but the data in idatalpha is traversed starting with the first character, wouldn't the comparison always be one character off?

--

I think you're right - the first comparison would be char 1 of idataalpha to char 0 (non-existent) f idatabeta, then 2 to 1 etc.

And for any benchmark junkies out there, "add 1 to c" is nearly twice as fast as "put c + 1 into c" on my machine, though it would only make a small difference even with hundreds of thousands of iterations (maybe in this case with large images).

Best,

Mark