Tomato

On Nov 3, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Mike Bonner wrote:

In my opinion? it SHOULD say 3. 2 lines with stuff, and 1 blank. Of course it says 2, but this is the same reason people "delete the last char of.." when doing things. If you fill a field with "this" & cr & "that" & cr, and then click at the bottom of the field, your cursor goes to the blank line underneath the 2 lines with text. The line exists, it should be counted. Looking at it the other way, if you put fred into line 1 of field 1, put mike into line 2 of field 1, the cr is added between the 2 automatically,
but there is no extra trailing line.  There are 2 lines.

Having text for line 1 & cr empty for line 2 & cr text for line 3, at that point, line 2 looks and acts exactly like line 2 would look and behave if there were no line 3. You can click in it, type in it, it acts like a line. And is counted as a line like it should be. If however it is a trailing empty line it is not counted. It's the same exact thing. A cr followed by empty. Simply adding another line after it shouldn't make it magically appear as a line. either it is or it isn't, at least so it seems to me.

Having said all this, there is most likely a reason it is the way it is that I don't have enough knowledge to understand. As with removing trailing carriage returns, if it's a null item it isn't difficult to work around and i'm not sure I can come up with a valid reason for actually having an empty
item, but that doesn't mean there isn't a use for it.  /shrug

As a last visual example, I have several spice bottles in my kitchen, some of which are empty. If I re-arrange them so that an empty one is on the end of the row it doesn't cease to exist, and it doesn't pop back in to being
because i put it between 2 spice bottles that DO have contents.