On Oct 3, 2007, at 11:55 AM, David Bovill wrote:

Does anyone know how MacOs pList files are (optionally) compressed (ie
preference pList files). I can't work it out or find a reference to this on the net. I have had a few goes with zip, gzip and bzip2 without success so
far?

Hi David,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but some plist files are in a binary format instead of just raw XML. Apple has provided a command line utility that allows you to convert between the two formats.

NAME
     plutil -- property list utility

SYNOPSIS
     plutil [command_option] [other_options] file

DESCRIPTION
plutil can be used to check the syntax of property list files, or convert
     a plist file from one format to another.

Regards

Todd