This is interesting to say the least.

I have a similar form where I MANUALLY PERFORM the validation and I stick in
the message keys myself for a bunch of detail records.  I add them via a helper
function:

    /**
       * Return the field name that represents the detail row that is in error
       * @param row
       * @param fieldname
       * @return
       */
      protected String getDetailFieldName( int row, String fieldname ) {
         StringBuffer buff = new StringBuffer( "locationtestresults[" );  //
the name of the arraylist property
         buff.append( row + "" );
         buff.append( "].");
         buff.append( fieldname );
         String returnValue = buff.toString();
         log.debug("getFieldName=" + returnValue );
         return (returnValue);
      } // getDetailFieldName

A message was added like this:

               if (t_begin_date == null )
               {
                  validateTestDates = false;
                  // StrutsUtils.addError(errors, getDetailFieldName(i,
"test_begin_date"), "validation.error.testreportform.nulltest_begin_date");
                  errors.add(getDetailFieldName(i, "test_begin_date"), new
ActionMessage("validation.error.testreportform.nulltest_begin_date"));
               }

The error class works fine on the front-end:

.FieldError {
   background-color: red;
}

[...]

<nested:text property="test_begin_date" size="11" maxlength="10"
errorStyleClass="FieldError"/>

I should try an example that is similar to use and see how it behaves.

What do you use for the validation that is creating these keys?  Struts
Validator?

Eric