Dear Stuts Community:

My general question is what is the best and most commonly deployed way
to transfer data between a mobile Android based platform and a
MySQL database on a Linux server ?  More specifically, is Struts a
good choice or am I barking up the wrong tree ? Note that authentication
and security are essential in my case and my Android platform
uses SSL sockets for Internet connections. Also, it would be
highly desirable to address the issue of binary data.

It appears that the  RESTful/JSON framework is fairly common
way to achieve the functionality I described but I am not really
sure it is the best way and am certainly open to alternatives.

The aforementioned framework requires a "web service" to be implemented
on the Linux server. My understanding is that such a "web service"
executes PHP code, embedded in HTML, to perform MySQL operations, and
converts MySQL responses to JSON format.

I presume the "web service" can be implemented as a stand-alone module or
using Apache functionality.  (i.e. Examples are the Axis framework.) Is
this correct and which option can best achieve the functionality I have described ?
Are there widely deployed modules or software that have this functionality ?
If not, what would be the easiest way to achieve this functionality ?

Best Regards,

Paul Romero

--

Paul Romero