Hi Jan,

Let me address a few of your assertions, and then I can give you an update:

  * First, Kai is right, iBATIS 2 has reached it's "feature completeness" --
we won't add any new significant features to it.  We'll maintain it and fix
bugs.

  * As far as Java 5 goes, iBATIS 2 supports Enums and Generics as well as
iBATIS 3 ever will (with the exception of interface binding, which will
benefit from generics and annotations).

  * The iBATIS 3 Whiteboard hasn't been touched because it too is complete.
It's purpose was to gather thoughts and provide a forum for debate.

  * What I guess hasn't been communicated is that development of iBATIS 3 is
well under way, and nearing a Beta release.  We should put up a blog for
this... long overdue.

  * You can find the iBATIS 3 source here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ibatis/trunk/java/ibatis-3/

The core of iBATIS 3 is complete and in fact it runs the full suite of
iBATIS 2 and JPetStore 5 unit tests, as well as its own comprehensive suite
of tests. The new XML structure has been implemented and is far less verbose
than the current one.  Many improvements have been made to the core
implementation of mappings, auto mappings, join mapping, caching,
transaction management, batching, autocommit (real autocommit) and many
other areas of the framework have been greatly improved and modernized.

The features remaining to be implemented at this time are:

  * Interface Binding
  * Annotation based configuration
  * New Dynamic SQL

Beyond that it will need some volunteers for Q/A and performance testing.
It's a complete rewrite and one would be hard pressed to find a single
method shared between the two.

I don't have an ETA, as I'm very busy.  But we should see significant new
progress made by the end of February.

I'll see if we can get a team blog up, possibly to replace the homepage so
that we can report more regularly on the status.

Cheers,
Clinton