I assume that you are referring to real time rendering in a view
window in OGL mode? If so, you can change settings in the "view
properties window", select the tab "Draw" and look under "Canvas
options". When the view is in OpenGL mode, you can select/deselect
"Two sided" to control back face culling and "Transparency" to control
wether vertices, edges and faces are visible through other
surfaces/objects.

Regards,
Fredrik Bergholtz