> The amiga workbench and the os of the AtariST were just fine.

And in what way were these different? I can't speak for the Atari, but the Amiga OS definately contained the interface components, the library was called "Intuition" if you don't remember. And there are lots of benefits in having common implementations and thus interpretations of the desktop metaphor. Of course, in the linux world it might have gone a bit out of control - a good thing with standards is that there are so many to choose from. :p

Regards,
Fredrik Bergholtz