(time for some much sought after browny points)
Well , after much reading and experimenting with Map2object
I have come to the conclusion that RS has included so many
options for mapping SDS/Nurbs/Analytic that even if they
just tore out the Map2Object tool , I would not miss it at
all .

 The 3D painting section of the manual holds many gems that
probably should not be in this part of the manual at all .
When I first saw '3D Painting' I assumed it was about using
the built-in Air brushing tools , so skipped over it .

 It's not really , and delves into adding textures to SDS
objects with , as I said , many useful tools . The 'Paste
Colours Tool' (now named 'Paste RGB') is a very neat little
tool that probably doesn't get used a lot , but is there to
play with anyway .

 The most useful tool of all , I think , is the 'UVimage'
tool , but certainly not at it's default settings , which
really _Must_ be changed from tex maps of 128 x 128 pixels .

 These don't work , and neither do samplings of '1' when
a user is trying to test this tool out . Also , simply
'smoothing' a mesh helps create nicer UV's too .
Also required but not mentioned is the use of the 'InitUV'
tool to straighten out the wonky default UV's .
 There's a ton of power here with 'Uvimage' (as the manual
say's) but a few little tricks must be performed first in
order to get anything close to acceptable .

Anyway , I feel a tutorial coming . One that will hopefully
help new users avoid 'map2object' (except for special cases)
and instead use realtime mapping methods and 'Uvimage' to do
SDS texturing  .

cheers

studio