Wow, it's beautiful. That's the style I like (bright and colorful).

It's slow, but that was expected with that much graphics.
That was worth the loading.

I don't know if it can help, but I did a website in full 3D like that 3 years ago for one of my client.
The trick I used was to put  the full image at once as a background of an invisible table (centered on the page). Then divide that invisible table in cells and then copy/place an invisible gif inside the cell over the "detection point".  You only have to place an action on the invisible gif. That is so you don't have to split the image in small pieces. The menu of www.CombadZ.com use this technique. It is more easy to manage like that.

Jean-Sebastien Perron
www.NeuroWorld.ws