On Tuesday 25 January 2005 22:54, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 06:39:26PM +0100, Blaisorblade wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 November 2004 17:09, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> > Ok, please list the new syscalls - I see at least add_key() and
> > request_key() too - are these three the only ones? I'll build the
> > patch ASAP when getting your answer.
>
> I spent some more time today trying to implement these silly
> request_key, add_key, and keyctl syscalls in the 2.6.10 kernel, but I
> haven't had any luck.  It would be a *tremendous* help for me in my
> filesystem development if I could just get these syscalls working in
> UML; it is much more tedious having to use kgdb in my debugging.  I
> tried adding entries on to the end of the
> include/sysdep-i386/syscalls.h and the kernel/sys_call_table.c files.
> I also exported the symbols in os-Linux/user_syms.c.  I am trying to
> work from the documentation here:
>
> http://jdike.stearns.org/uml/arch-port.html
>
> I am not entirely clear on the function that ``[ 222 ] =
> sys_ni_syscall,'' at the end of the table in syscalls.h is supposed to
> serve.  Syscalls in UML contstitutes new territory for me.
Well, like
> I would assume that the __NR_* assignments in the UML environment are
> identical to those of the host system.  That means that request_key,
> for example, maps to identifier 288 on the i386 architecture, right?
Yes, because when a program says "I want to call the write() syscall", all it
contains to identify the "write" syscall between all the existing ones is the
__NR_write value... so it is very important that they never change (on the
same architecture). As long as UML must emulate i386, the identifiers must
match.

> The keyctl.c utility defines these syscall identifiers, so I need to
> make sure that I get the numbers right for the syscall table lookup.

> Thanks,
> Mike
Well, it should be fixed in the -mm tree (and probably in 2.6.11-rc2-bk2, I
guess, though it's not tested)... browse the patches at
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/patches.html.

It should be in next release...
--
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade