On Friday 18 November 2005 08:33, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 18 November 2005 01:26, Blaisorblade wrote:

> > > asm-um/ldt.h is a 0 byte file.

> > Damnit! Do rm on it and things will work (Makefiles will create a symlink
> > to ldt-$(SUBARCH) in its place). We had this problem in the past, and
> > exactly for a mis-formed patch with quilt.

> Should I delete all of them, then?

It shouldn't do any harm removing them... for headers like that the 0-length
file prevents the creation of the symlink.

Also, I think that even when the patch is wrong (doesn't remove the file),
applying it with quilt does the right thing.

> find . -size 0b
> ./arch/um/drivers/ubd_user.c
> ./arch/um/include/signal_user.h
> ./fs/hostfs/Makefile
> ./fs/hostfs/hostfs.h
> ./fs/hostfs/hostfs_kern.c
> ./fs/hostfs/hostfs_user.c
> ./include/asm-um/ldt.h

JEEFF :-| ? Where are you? How should I hunt you ;-))) ?

> Let's see...

> find . -size 0b | xargs rm

> Oh that's a _much_ happier build.  It's got various warnings about iplicit
> declarations and unused variables but none of those big long chains of "in
> file included from" and the build made it all the way to the link stage
> before dying:

>   CC      lib/semaphore-sleepers.o
>   CC      lib/sha1.o
>   CC      lib/string.o
>   CC      lib/vsprintf.o
>   AR      lib/lib.a
>   GEN     .version
>   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
>   UPD     include/linux/compile.h
>   CC      init/version.o
>   LD      init/built-in.o
>   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
>
> arch/um/sys-i386/built-in.o(.text+0x3b60): In function `load_TLS':
> : undefined reference to `indirect_set_thread_area'
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>   KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
> nm: '.tmp_vmlinux1': No such file
> No valid symbol.
> make[2]: *** [.tmp_kallsyms1.S] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [_all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> This is progress!
Disable TT mode or play with such things IIRC - actually there's a proper fix
along lines of "move #ifdef's inside sys-i386/tls.c to properly cater to
dependencies" if you want.

This comes from the TLS patches btw...
--
Inform me of my mistakes, so I can keep imitating Homer Simpson's "Doh!".
Paolo Giarrusso, aka Blaisorblade (Skype ID "PaoloGiarrusso", ICQ 215621894)